Monday, September 23, 2013

Luddites RAFT Assignment

The Luddites were a group that attacked factories and tried to destroy machines that had put them out of jobs. They were skilled weavers, mechanics, and other artisans.  They were neither opposed to technology nor for it.  They were against the usage of technology. They were against the training, wages, and conditions that were given to factory workers. They were against overdependence on technology. One first hand source we have is from a young girl that was a new factory worker in this time period.
 
 
My Dearest Cousin,
 
 
I know you are aware of my new position at the factory, but I must tell you it is just dreadful. They force us to operate these machines and it is much too dangerous for a girl like me.  The wages are horrible, I'm trying to help support my family but with the money I'm making it wont even help.  The conditions are dangerous and dirty and I can't stand it.  Thank goodness the new group they are calling the Luddites are standing up for people like me! They have destroyed many machines and it's given the factory owners much trouble which makes me extremely happy! I don't think I'm fit to join them so I will just pray for them to get us our wages and working conditions back to the way they used to be! I hope to speak to you soon.
 
 
Best Wishes,
 
Your Cousin Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment